(ANSA) - Rimini, August 20 - Italian Industry Minister Corrado Passera on Monday asked Fiat for information on its future plans, citing contrasting reports on how Italy's largest carmaker plans to tackle the devastating effects the economic recession has had on its business. Fiat earlier this month said it was suspending all new investments in Italy as car sales dropped to a 33-year low. The announcement prompted unions and politicians to call for government intervention aimed at bolstering the carmaker's activities in what is the third largest economy in the euro zone. Italian car sales plunged 20% in the month of July, and deliveries in 2012 are in line with 1979 levels. Passera was speaking at an annual August meeting of the Catholic movement Communione e Liberazione in the northeastern coastal town of Rimini. "We hope that in the next weeks the company provides us and the country with an explanation of their plans". When asked if he had a meeting planned with Fiat representatives to discuss the situation, Passera said "it's not a question of meetings," but that "we need to follow the matter, and to understand" the entire situation.