Naples

Pompeii does not risk World Heritage status, says UNESCO

Italy showing diligence in its monitoring and attention

Pompeii does not risk World Heritage status, says UNESCO

(see previous)Naples, July 23 - Pompeii is not at risk of losing its prestigious UNESCO World Heritage status, the national president for UNESCO in Italy, Giovanni Puglisi, said on Tuesday. "The presence of the two ministers (Italian Minister of Culture Massimo Bray and Territorial Cohesion Minister Carlo Trigilia) has renewed my confidence that the level of attention and monitoring is at its best. UNESCO needed to know this," Puglisi said. In July, UNESCO gave Italy until December 31 to apply a series of measures or face having one of its most famous archeological sites removed from the elite catalogue of heritage locations. Measures outlined as necessary and urgent by the UN agency involved safety improvements, including video surveillance, and the need for 39 work areas to be opened by 2015. "A clear plan operated with maximum transparency is needed to keep the archeological site of Pompeii on UNESCO's World Heritage list," Bray said earlier in July.

Lascia il tuo commento

Condividi le tue opinioni su Gazzetta del Sud online

Caratteri rimanenti: 400

Le altre notizie

i più letti di oggi