Rome

Former Senator hands State millions of embezzled funds

Luigi Lusi 'admits responsibility', says court

Former Senator hands State millions of embezzled funds

Rome, June 13 - Some 16 million euros of property seized from former Democratic Party (PD) Senator Luigi Lusi will be handed over to the State, Italy's Audit Court said on Thursday. Lusi was indicted earlier this year for allegedly embezzling 22 million euros of funds from the coffers of the now-defunct centre-left Margherita party when he was treasurer. He spent almost a year under house arrest in an Abruzzo convent before being released on bail in May. The court ruled that the funds will be handed over to the State, not political parties. Lusi "has admitted his administrative responsibility and has not contested the damages derived from his illicit management of the political party funds," the court said. The court subtracted 6.25 million euros from the total of 22.81 million euros Lusi allegedly siphoned from party coffers for previous taxes and levies already paid by the former Senator.

Lascia il tuo commento

Condividi le tue opinioni su Gazzetta del Sud online

Caratteri rimanenti: 400

Le altre notizie

i più letti di oggi