Ancona, June 10 - Some 300 workers at Italian home-appliance maker Indesit blocked the entry to the company's plant near Ancona in the Marche region in protest of major layoff plans announced last week. The company said it was set to cut 1,425 positions, including 25 managers, 150 white collar staff and 1,250 factory workers across three Italian manufacturing plants. Several unions, including FIOM-CGIL, FIM-CISL and UILM, organized the strike near Ancona and another protest at a plant near Naples. The company said workers must be let go due to production and financial woes triggered by falling sales. A 70-million euro restructuring plan was being prepared, the company added. Investors applauded the plan and shares in Indesit gained 1.9% in value at the announcement during last Tuesday's trading to end the day at 6.39 euros. Indesit plans to keep only high-end appliance manufacturing in Italy, and to concentrate low-cost appliance manufacturing in Poland and Turkey.
i più letti di oggi
di Giovanni Pastore