Rome

Benetton confirms ties to collapsed Bangladesh factory

'Bought 200,000 shirts via subcontractor'

Benetton confirms ties to collapsed Bangladesh factory

Rome, May 9 - Italian clothing giant Benetton on Thursday confirmed it had purchased shirts from one of the manufacturers that operated inside the Bangladesh garment factory that collapsed and killed over 800 people last month. "The New Wave company, at the time of the tragic disaster, was not one of our suppliers, but one from whom our direct Indian suppliers had subcontracted two orders," said CEO Biagio Chiarolanza in an interview with the Huffington Post. The statement comes after the company first claimed that "none of the companies involved are suppliers to Benetton Group or any of its brands". Photos revealed Benetton labels amid the wreckage shortly after the disaster. Chiarolanza said the confusion came from its complex supply chain. The CEO said Benetton decided to halt production with New Wave a month before the collapse occurred due to the manufacturer's inability to meet "strict" quality and efficiency standards. Chiarolanza said his Veneto-based company plans to continue to use factories in Bangladesh. "I really believe Benetton and other international brands can help these countries improve their condition," he said. "But we need a safe and happy working environment and we need to have better conditions". The CEO said his company had ordered roughly 200,000 shirts from the Bangladesh factory, a relative small commission.

Lascia il tuo commento

Condividi le tue opinioni su Gazzetta del Sud online

Caratteri rimanenti: 400

Le altre notizie

i più letti di oggi