Rome

MotoGP: Rossi delighted at making podium on Yamaha return

Italian shows still fast after winless stint at Ducati

MotoGP: Rossi delighted at making podium on Yamaha return

Rome, April 8 - Valentino Rossi said he is delighted after finished second in his first MotoGP Grand Prix since returning to Yamaha on Sunday in Qatar. The result suggests Italy's nine-time world champion still has what it takes to be a title contender after two winless seasons at Ducati. The 34-year-old won a duel with Honda's MotoGP debutant Marc Marquez at the floodlit race to complete a Yamaha one-two behind his teammate and reigning world champion Jorge Lorenzo. "I'm more than happy, very happy indeed because it was my dream to come back with Yamaha," said Rossi, who won four of his seven premium-class world titles during his first stint at Yamaha between 2004 and 2009. "To arrive on the podium in the first race had been my target since November and I put all my effort into being at my best here". The result was all the more impressive as Rossi only qualified seventh on the grid and had to recover after losing ground on the second lap while trying to overtake his replacement at Ducati, Andrea Dovizioso. "It was a difficult weekend, especially in qualifying, but I knew I had great pace so I tried to recover in the beginning, but I made a mistake and I lost time," Rossi said. "I had to do a great second part of the race and step-by-step I came closer to my podium. "In the end there was a great battle, especially with Marc for second place. "I'm so happy for me, for my team, for my friends, all my fans who stayed with me through two difficult years and also for Yamaha. "To start the season with first and second place is not bad. "They gave me another chance to be in this team and I think we will enjoy this season".

Lascia il tuo commento

Condividi le tue opinioni su Gazzetta del Sud online

Caratteri rimanenti: 400

Le altre notizie

i più letti di oggi