Rome

FM Terzi rejects calls to resign over India marines case

Critics say turnaround exposed Italy to 'ridicule'

FM Terzi rejects calls to resign over India marines case

Rome, March 22 - Italian Foreign Minister Giulio Terzi on Friday rejected calls to resign over the country's handling of the case of two marines on trial in India for the alleged killing of two fishermen during an anti-piracy mission in February 2012. On Thursday the government made the surprise announcement that it would be returning Massimiliano Latorre and Salvatore Girone to New Delhi for trial as originally pledged. Earlier it had sparked the ire of the Asian nation by saying the servicemen would not go back on the expiry of a four-week permit for home leave on March 22 on grounds that India did not have jurisdiction over the case as the incident had taken place in international waters. Terzi said the ensuing diplomatic row had been ''necessary'' to ensure the men would not face the death penalty if convicted in India. However critics said the turnaround had exposed Italy to "ridicule" and called for the country's chief diplomat to resign. On Friday the Indian government expressed its satisfaction at Italy's decision.

Lascia il tuo commento

Condividi le tue opinioni su Gazzetta del Sud online

Caratteri rimanenti: 400

Le altre notizie

i più letti di oggi