Naples, January 29 - A group of the city's residents banded together to collect funds for the funeral of a homeless man found dead last week in the elegant Galleria Umberto shopping arcade. The man, thought to be aged between 50 and 60, was found wrapped in blankets beneath the colonnade opposite the southern Italian city's famed San Carlo opera house in central Naples on the morning of January 22 under the indifferent gaze of passers-by and habitues of a nearby cafe'. The man's death was reported by another homeless person who had been sleeping nearby. "Citizens want to change the image of indifference associated with Naples that has been caused by the incident," Naples city councilor Vittorio Vasquez said. A collection was organized by area residents who knew the man, Vasquez said.