Milan

Berlusconi's sex trial verdict to come after elections

Ex-premier wants proceedings suspended completely

Berlusconi's sex trial verdict to come after elections

Milan, January 21 - Judges in Milan on Monday said the trial into allegations ex-premier Silvio Berlusconi paid for sex with an underage prostitute will not come until after next month's Italian general election. The court changed the trial's schedule with the last hearing set to take place on March 11. Italy's elections take place February 24-25. The court made the announcement after Berlusconi's defence lawyers again requested the trial be suspended completely until after the election. Last week the court rejected a petition for proceedings to be halted while the 76-year-old media magnate leads his centre-right coalition's campaigning. Berlusconi argued he would be too busy campaigning and there was a danger of rivals exploiting the trial. Niccolo' Ghedini, one of Berlusconi's lawyers and an MP for his People of Freedom (PdL) party, argued that: "this court is not letting outgoing parliamentarians contribute to the election campaign". Three-time Italian premier Berlusconi is also an MP and Piero Longo, another member of the defence team, is a PdL Senator. The judges went into talks to consider the suspension request after they had suggested to prosecutors that a "moment of reflection" might be for the best. The prosecutors did not agree. Berlusconi is accused of paying to have sex with a young Moroccan dancer, Karima El Mahroug, better known as Ruby the Heart-stealer, before she was 18 during alleged Bunga Bunga sex parties at his home. Both the ex-premier and the woman deny ever having sex. She said money she received from Berlusconi was given as part of a gift. Berlusconi is also accused of abuse of office for allegedly having used his influence when he was premier to spring El Mahroug from a Milan police station to hush up the affair after an unrelated theft claim. The charge of having sex with an underage prostitute carries a jail term of up to three years, and abuse of office 12 years. Judges in Berlusconi's appeals trial against a one-year conviction for tax fraud on film rights for his Mediaset TV group on Friday rejected a petition for that case to be suspended until after the election. But another trial into accusations Berlusconi was involved in the publication of an illegally obtained wiretap has been put on hold. In the ongoing and several other previous trials, Berlusconi has always denied wrongdoing, claiming he is the victim of a minority group of allegedly left-wing prosecutors and judges who he says are persecuting him for political reasons. Berlusconi has been tried some 30 times but has only been convicted three times - verdicts that were either timed out or overturned on appeal - prior to the Mediaset fraud verdict. photo: Karima El Mahroug.

Lascia il tuo commento

Condividi le tue opinioni su Gazzetta del Sud online

Caratteri rimanenti: 400

Le altre notizie

i più letti di oggi

Natalina tornava dal lavoro

Natalina tornava dal lavoro

di Salvatore De Maria