Florence, January 14 - Ex-premier and leader of the Italian centre-right, Silvio Berlusconi, on Monday said there had been an attempt to murder him and that he continues to live under threat. "There is strong concern for me on the part of certain authorities. They have asked me not to speak in city squares," said Berlusconi, referring to safety risks surrounding his election campaign. "You know there was an attempt to kill me; and now, with the hatred that abounds, those who are responsible for my security escort expressed this concern to me," Berlusconi added. "If I decide to go to various regions" to campaign, "I will make public appearances in theaters or convention centres," Berlusconi told the Florence television station TgT on its show Italia 7, set to air later Friday.