Cagliari, January 4 - Health authorities on the island of Sardinia allayed fears of a possible outbreak of swine flu on Friday after a man showed symptoms of the H1N1 virus. ''It is normal that that the strain should have reappeared, since it has been circulating since 2009, and its virulence is equal or even inferior to other kinds of influenza that have been spreading across the island in recent weeks,'' regional sources said. ''We are equipped not only to tackle the emergency which does not currently exist, but also less serious cases that can be handled by the local health authorities in Sassari and cagliari,'' said regional health councillor Simona De Francisci, adding that residents should contact their general practitioner rather than going to the local accident and emergency department at the first sign of flu symptoms. On Thursday doctors in the Sardinian hospital of Lanusei said that a 46-year-old man had been admitted with bilateral pneumonia, high fever and respiratory problems, all associated with swine flu. He was subsequently transferred to Milan's San Raffaele hospital where the H1N1 virus was confirmed. Italian health authorities said that H1N1 has a fatality rate of 0.03%, compared to 0.1% for the regular seasonal flu.