Rome

Terzi says Italy will push for Nazi-victim compensation

Hague ruling does not consider 'individual' complaints

Terzi says Italy will push for Nazi-victim compensation

Rome, December 19 - Italian Foreign Minister Giulio Terzi said on Wednesday that his country will continue to push for Germany to respect Italian court rulings issued last year requiring compensation for Italian victims of Nazi war crimes. Last February the International Court of Justice (ICJ) ruled to annul the earlier compensation ruling by the Italian court, saying that Italy "failed to recognise the immunity" granted by international law for the Third Reich's crimes. "We will continue to call for the enforcement of court rulings against those who have been identified as responsible for crimes against humanity", Terzi said at the presentation of a report by the Italo-German Historical Commission on the events of 1943-45 together with German Foreign Minister Guido Westerwelle. In November 2008 Italy and Germany agreed to set up a joint commission to probe legal claims linked to the Second World War, as well as the fate of thousands of Italian deportees. Terzi said that though Italy "took note" of the Hague ruling, which gave "a legal definition to the issue of compensation" there remain individual cases to be considered.

Lascia il tuo commento

Condividi le tue opinioni su Gazzetta del Sud online

Caratteri rimanenti: 400

Le altre notizie

i più letti di oggi