Rome

Fornero says nothing more to add on Fiat Pomigliano firings

Government had slammed carmaker’s plan to lay off employee

Rome, November 8 - Italian Labour Minister Elsa Fornero on Thursday said she had nothing further to add her request for Fiat to rethink plans to fire 19 workers at its biggest southern Italian plant. "That’s all I want to say" said Fornero, answering journalists' queries on the "invitation" she made last week to Fiat in which she asked the company to "supersede the planned firing process" for the employees in Pomigliano. Fiat upped the stakes in a long-running industrial dispute last week when it said it had to fire employees at its Pomigliano d'Arco plant near Naples to comply with a court order to re-hire members of the left-wing trade union FIOM. Last month a Rome court ordered the carmaker to hire the FIOM members after they successfully sued for unfair discrimination. Italian Industry Minister Corrado Passera had also voiced criticism over the announced layoffs following the decision announced last week by Fiat. Fiat did not take on any FIOM members when it set up a new corporate entity to run the Pomigliano factory in 2010 after a dispute with the union over the policies the company wanted to implement there. Fiat, Italy's largest private employer and biggest industrial company, has been going through a period of tumultuous labour relations as it tries to restructure its operations in Italy, its largest market. The Pomigliano plant is where the company builds the newest version of its Panda sub-compact, which was previously produced in Poland.

Lascia il tuo commento

Condividi le tue opinioni su Gazzetta del Sud online

Caratteri rimanenti: 400

Le altre notizie

i più letti di oggi