Rome

Berlusconi considered 'apologising' to Italian people

Ex-premier admits his government did not achieve aims

Berlusconi considered 'apologising' to Italian people

Rome, November 5 - Ex-premier Silvio Berlusconi has said he considered apologising over the disappointing legacy of his last government. Media-magnate Berlusconi was forced to resign as prime minister last year when Italy's debt crisis threatened to spiral out of control and he made way for Premier Mario Monti's emergency technocrat administration. "I thought about saying sorry to the Italian people because I didn't manage to do it (what I set out to achieve)," he said in an interview with TV presenter and journalist Bruno Vespa in a book, Il Palazzo e la Piazza, that will come out Thursday. "The (economic) crisis wiped out our efforts, although we left (power) with unemployment at its lowest level of the last 20 years". The comments have met some surprise as Berlusconi usually staunchly defends his record in politics and has been reluctant to admit failings in the past. The 76-year-old said he has decided not to seek a fourth term in elections next year in order to make it easier for his People of Freedom (PdL) party to find allies in the centre of Italy's political spectrum. He also backed PdL Secretary Angelino Alfano, who is set to run in the primaries to select the party's premier candidate for next spring's elections, after reports of a rift. Berlusconi described Alfano as the "coolest guy on the block".

Lascia il tuo commento

Condividi le tue opinioni su Gazzetta del Sud online

Caratteri rimanenti: 400

Le altre notizie

i più letti di oggi