Rome

Fiat will not abandon Turin, archbishop says

'Chairman Elkann assures me' says Nosiglia in leaked interview

Fiat will not abandon Turin, archbishop says

(ANSA) - Rome, September 19 - Archbishop of Turin Cesare Nosiglia said he was told by Fiat Chairman John Elkann that the automaker would remain in Turin. "I received reassurance from Elkann that Fiat has no intention of abandoning Turin. The choice is one he has reiterated in our meetings since the beginning of my ministry, and he confirmed it in recent days," Nosiglia said in the new issue of the Catholic weekly, "La Voce del Popolo" (Voice of the People), which is not yet published, but some contents of which were leaked Wednesday. Last week Fiat said its 2010 Fabbrica Italia plan to invest some 20 billion euros in facilities in Italy over five years was no longer valid given the current climate, sparking alarm among trade unions and stiff criticism of Fiat CEO Sergio Marchionne from several quarters.

Lascia il tuo commento

Condividi le tue opinioni su Gazzetta del Sud online

Caratteri rimanenti: 400

Le altre notizie

i più letti di oggi