(ANSA) - Florence, September 18 - Cleaning up the half-sunken Costa Concordia cruise liner off the coast of Giglio island is going according to plan, according to supervisors from the region of Tuscany on Tuesday. "Results of the program have been satisfactory," said Tuscan regional cabinet member Maria Sargentini, despite "some delays". Sargentini and a board overseeing the cleanup approved a second tranche of funds Monday to continue salvaging the cruise ship that capsized January 13 after hitting a rock, killing 32 people in Italy's worst maritime disaster since the Second World War. Captain Francesco Schettino is being investigated on charges of manslaughter, abandoning ship and failing to communicate with maritime authorities in the crash. The commander was dubbed 'captain coward' in the international media after recordings of a conversation with coast guards suggested he refused orders to return to the ship after leaving before evacuation operations had been completed. US-based Titan Salvage and the Italian firm Micoperi have said the ship will be completely removed in time for Giglio's 2013 summer tourism season.
Le altre notizie