Brindisi

Girl killed in Brindisi school bombing remembered

First day of school opens with commemorative ceremony

Girl killed in Brindisi school bombing remembered

(ANSA) - Brindisi, September 12 - A memorial service was held Wednesday morning at a fashion trade school in the southern city of Brindisi for 16-year-old Melissa Bassi who was killed when a bomb went off outside the institute May 19 as she was going to class. Five other students were also injured when a remote control detonated a bomb made of three gas canisters at the entrance of the Morvillo Falcone trade institute, named after the wife of anti-Mafia magistrate Giovanni Falcone. Students, teachers and parents gathered in the courtyard for a ceremony and placed flowers around a commemorative plaque remembering Melissa. A 68-year-old man, Giovanni Vantaggiato, confessed to the bombing in June but has given no plausible motive for the attack. A school also came Anna Canoci of Tuturano (Brindisi), one of the girls who was overwhelmed by the explosion and who reported severe hearing impairment. Anna is a graduate of last year but wanted to be here at school with his former partners to communicate to them the need to "be strong and courage because life goes on. "" It 's been a very bad return, - told reporters that Anna asked her sensations - a very bad back to school. "" The moments bad after the attack - he said - were those of hospitalization and after the awareness of not being able to have a more normal life. "Anna has also stressed not to have not had any financial institutions who made ​​available to girls and their wounds families of funds to deal with the necessary care The couple was assassinated 20 years ago this week. "I have no certainties, for now no certainties, so it seems to me that the best thing is for us all to work together," Justice Minister Paola Severino told a press conference. Pietro Grasso, Italy's national anti-mafia chief, said Monday that the investigation is being organized by the anti-mafia division in nearby Lecce, however the scope was not limited to organized crime. There has also been speculation linking the attack to extreme-left terrorists, after an Ansaldo Nucleare executive was shot in the leg by an anarchist group two weeks ago and the targeting of tax offices in a series of letter-bomb and Molotov-cocktail attacks. Interior Minister Anna Maria Cancellieri said there was no connection between the anarchist shooting and the school bombing. Brindisi Chief Prosecutor Marco Dinapoli has said that it may just have been an "isolated act". The attack was described as unprecedented because, even in Italy's 'years of lead' of political terrorism in the 1970s and 1980s and the period of the Mafia bomb campaign that claimed the lives of magistrates Paolo Borsellino and Falcone in the early 1990s, schools were not targeted. ANSA sources said Monday that a suspect had been identified and his brother had been taken into custody, however sources from the Brindisi prosecutor's office said that evidence connecting him to the attack was not conclusive. Police have released images taken from video surveillance of the suspect at the scene, believed to be between 50 and 55. Law enforcement was concentrating its investigation on the three Puglia provinces immediately surrounding the attack: Brindisi, Taranto and Lecce.

Lascia il tuo commento

Condividi le tue opinioni su Gazzetta del Sud online

Caratteri rimanenti: 400

Le altre notizie

i più letti di oggi