Monza

F1: Alonso looks to Italian GP after horror crash

Ferrari driver says team will 'pull out something good'

F1: Alonso looks to Italian GP after horror crash

(ANSA) - Monza, September 6 - Spaniard Fernando Alonso said Thursday he has put the horror crash that took place at the start of last week's Belgium Grand Prix behind him and is fit and focused on Ferrari's home Grand Prix at Monza this weekend. Romain Grosjean's Lotus flew over Alonso's F2012 just centimetres from his head after the Frenchman sparked a huge crash by moving across on McLaren's Lewis Hamilton on the run to the first corner. Alonso remains top of the driver's championship despite not scoring in Belgium, but Red Bull reigning world champ Sebastian Vettel moved up to second place and cut the Ferrari driver's lead to 24 points by coming second last weekend. "I saw the images on TV. It was certainly an unfortunate situation, above all for Grosjean," said Alonso, who won the 2005 and 2006 world titles with Renault. "There were so many factors - the smoke from (Sauber's Kamui) Kobayashi's car, (Williams driver Pastor) Maldonado's false start and then the crash. "It's something that went badly for lots of drivers but then it was over. "Everything is fine. The distance between the Lotus in flight and my head was 20, 30 centimetres. But things turned out OK". Alonso added that he was confident Ferrari will be competitive at the Italian Grand Prix, but said he sees the McLarens in best shape given recent results. McLaren's Jenson Button won in Belgium and Hamilton won the previous race in Hungary. "McLaren are going fast and they are favourites, but you'll see that here at Monza, we'll pull out something good in qualifying and in the race".

Lascia il tuo commento

Condividi le tue opinioni su Gazzetta del Sud online

Caratteri rimanenti: 400

Le altre notizie

i più letti di oggi